Local Decathletes to Compete at State Level
The Beverly Hills High School Academic Decathlon team will compete at the state competition for the third year in a row.
The Beverly Hills High School Academic Decathlon team will compete at the state competition for the third year in a row. To earn this spot, the team faced off against 59 teams in the Los Angeles County Office of Education Regional Competition, where decathletes tested their knowledge covering economics, math, science, art, music, literature, and social studies focusing on this year’s theme American Revolution. Decathletes also presented prepared and impromptu speeches, wrote essays, and were interviewed to demonstrate their skills in this competition.
Members of the Official Team earned the following honors:
• Vincent Lau – Silver Medal in Interview
• Avery Lo – Gold Medal in Speech (perfect score), Silver Medal in Interview
• Lindsay Moreno – Silver Medal in Speech
• Elisha Rhie – Gold Medal in Speech (perfect score), Silver Medal in Interview
• Alexandra Schulman – Bronze Medal in Economics, Bronze Medal in Interview, Bronze Medal in Speech
• Sarah Zhang – Gold Medal in Essay, Gold Medal in Interview (perfect score),
Bronze Medal in Mathematics, Silver Medal in Speech
Avery Lo was the top-scoring overall decathlete for our team and performed his medal-winning speech at the Banquet!
The official team, including Nava Bonyadi, Vasco Dealmeida, and Diane Song, next competes on March 11 in the objectives and essay testing at BHHS, then in-person at Santa Clara on March 24-26 with speech, interview, and Super Quiz.
The BHHS Junior Team also received high scores in the following events:
• Rachel Cohen – Gold Level in Speech (perfect score), Gold Level in Interview,
• Jacob Treiman – Gold Level in Speech, Gold Level in Interview (perfect score)
• Willa Cross – Gold Level in Essay, Silver Level in Interview, Gold Level in Speech
• Georgina Glave – Gold Level in Essay, Bronze Level in Interview
• Karina Kruger – Silver Level in Interview, Silver Level in Speech
• Alexander Kush – Bronze Level in Interview
Members of the Junior Team will next compete in the Heptathlon on March 11 at BHHS.